World's worst sports fan

 

I have never been a great sports attender. Yes, as a secondary schoolboy, I don't believe I missed a single International Rugby Match at Lansdowne Road between 1970 and 1973. And I was a very keen tennis player.

Other than that, I attended the 1988 Challenge Cup between Wigan and Halifax at Wembley where Wigan won the match 32–12. I had not the slightest clue what was going on. I also went to watch an international cricket match that summer at Headingly, and had even less of a clue as to what was going on. 
 
It appeared to be grown men dressed in white, starting to run miles away while scratching their nether regions with a ball, and then prior to collapsing with exhaustion from their 3-mile run into the stadium, throwing the ball at someone holding a cricket racquet. 
 
My final foray was for Leeds versus Reading at Elland Road on the occasion when they were trying to move up a division, a match they lost. Some chap kept screaming at the Leeds team while running from side to side in the stand behind us while dragging his knuckles along the stand floor. And no one told me that clapping politely when Reading scored was not the thing to do.
 
However, having been to the town of Leigh a couple of times in the past month, the town is naturally enough somewhat over the moon at their team's appearance in the Rugby League final at Wembley. And the atmosphere in the town is quite ecstatic. So I have been watching a few of the highlight matches between the likes of Leigh, Wigan, Hull, Leeds Rhinos and Warrington. 
 
I can just about manage these 15-minute match "summaries" and actually find them somewhat entertaining. More so, these shortened versions don't allow time for the perfunctory idiotic, English-language-mangling experts standing around in a semi-circle talking absolute bollox. 
 
This means I can leave the commentary on and thus gain a little insight as to what is actually going on.
 
I believe the current terminology to be used is "Go on Leigh".

Comments